The sausage strata is a perfect breakfast or brunch dish to serve a crowd during the holidays or for a weekend gathering. It’s a tasty combination of eggs, sausage, bread, and cheese baked together casserole-style.
The best part is that the prep time is short, so you can make an impressive breakfast or brunch with little effort, according to recipe developer Jessica Morone. However, you do need to allow the strata to chill in the fridge overnight, so plan if you want to serve it for breakfast.
You can prepare this dish the day or night before a weekend brunch or holiday morning. It’s also great for meal prepping since it makes 12 servings that you can enjoy all week long.
Brunch-perfect Sausage Strata Recipe
- 1 pound of ground breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices of bread, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook while breaking it up into small crumbles with the spatula, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain any fat and transfer the cooked sausage to a plate.
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs and whisk them together with the milk, thyme, salt, and black pepper until fully incorporated.
- Add the bread, cheese, and cooked sausage and stir to coat everything in the egg mixture. Allow the bread to soak up some of the liquids for a few minutes.
- Transfer the strata mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the center has set and the top has browned.
- Allow the strata to cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving hot next to fresh fruit.
The hearty combination of savory Italian sausage, cheese, custard-dipped bread, and peppery thyme makes this breakfast casserole ideal for serving company at a weekend brunch. Preparing it the day before allows the flavors to meld overnight.